Wayne State University

Aim Higher


International Students

U. S. citizenship is not a requirement for admission to WSU. There are scholarships and fellowships awarded that do not include citizenship or permanent resident status as a criterion.

Federal student aid

You must be a citizen of the United States or have lawful permanent resident status to receive federal financial aid.

The standard documentation for a permanent resident of the United States is the Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551, since 1997) or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551, before 1997).

You are not eligible for federal financial aid if:

  • You have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-717 or I-464)
  • You are in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only
  • You are in the United States on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only

Other resources for international students

Information and resources for international and Canadian students is available from the following organizations.

The WSU Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) can assist you with matters pertaining to immigration as well as issues with cross-cultural adjustment.

Office of International Students and Scholars

42 W. Warren
416 Welcome Center
Detroit, Michigan 48202
Phone (313) 577-3422
Email: oissmail@wayne.edu


Resident tuition application

if you are in the United States for other than a temporary educational purpose, you may apply for resident status in the same manner as a U. S. citizen,

Visit the WSU Registration and Scheduling website for more information.