Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduates.

  • To apply for the Federal Pell Grant, file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA.)
  • The grant is only available to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor's or professional degree.

  • Award amounts range for the 2013-14 award year range from $582 to $5,645.

  • This grant is pro-rated based on your enrollment. If you are enrolled less than full time, your grants will be reduced.

  • Awards will not be revised after the university census date, unless your drop all courses.

NOTE: You may not receive Pell Grant funds from two schools for the same semester. If this happens, one of the schools would be required to cancel your award, which may leave you with an outstanding balance.

Federal Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) - New!

A new law reduces the duration of Federal Pell Grant eligibility from 18 semesters (or its equivalent) to 12 semesters (or its equivalent). This applies to all Federal Pell Grant eligible students effective with the 2012-13 academic year.

The maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a student can receive each year is equal to 100%. The 12-semester or six-year equivalent is 600%.

Does this change affect me?

This change affects all students regardless of when or where they received their first Federal Pell Grant.

How does this change affect me?

If you received 100% of your Federal Pell Grant award for 12 semesters:

  • You will not have any remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility beginning in fall 2012.

If you have received the Federal Pell Grant for 10 full-time semesters or its equivalent, but less than 12 full-time semesters or its equivalent:

  • You will not have a full year (100%) of Pell grant eligibility, but will likely receive a portion of your scheduled award.

If you have received the Federal Pell Grant for less than 10 full-time semesters or its equivalent:

  • You will have full Pell Grant eligibility for the 2012-13 academic year unless a late Pell award usage report is received.

The Federal Pell schedule of 100% includes the following breakdown for a semester:

  • Full-time enrollment (12 or more credits per semester) = 50% Pell Grant
  • Three-quarters time enrollment (9, 10 or 11 credits per semester) = 37.5% Pell Grant
  • One-half - time enrollment (6, 7 or 8 credits per semester) = 25% Pell Grant
  • Less than one-half time (5 or less credits per semester) = 12.5% Pell Grant

Can I appeal my Pell lifetime eligibility?

No, you may not. Federal Pell Grant limits are set by federal law. If you rely on Federal Pell Grant funding, stay in school and be conscious about the lifetime limits when changing majors and/or scheduling classes.

How do I determine my remaining eligibility?

Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) is tracked by the U.S.. Department of Education and is based on full-time enrollment. If you received 100% of your award for 12 semesters, you will not have any remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility beginning in fall 2012.

How can I see my Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) percentage?

Log on to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website using your Federal Student Aid PIN to view your Pell LEU under "Grants. "  You will see your percentage used. 

What are my other options?

If you haven’t done so already, follow these steps to finish your program:

  • See your academic advisor and put a plan of work in place with courses scheduled up to graduation.
  • Check Pipeline to review and complete any outstanding financial aid requirements.
  • Turn in any outstanding documents early in order to be considered for all available funding.

Wayne State students often qualify for awards from external organizations and we encourage you to pursue all opportunities. Apply now. If you wait too long you might miss an important deadline. Links and information are available on our External Scholarship page.

Installment payment plans allow students and/or parents to make tuition payments in easy monthly installments. Students can enroll for the fall or winter semester or choose both as an annual plan.

If you are considering the federal work-study program or borrowing a student loan, review our web pages for more information.

Financial aid officers are available in the Welcome Center if you have any questions about your financial aid. You may also call our student service center at 313-577-2100 or email us at studentservice@wayne.edu.